Step 1: Check your filter
- Though clogged air filters are one of the most common problems affecting the functionality of air conditioner systems, the filter is usually the most ignored item of your HVAC system, that in fact needs the most attention. Dirty air filters cause your AC to operate at a lower efficiency which means it does not cool your house as well as it should, and can end up costing you more money in the long run.
- WHAT PROBLEMS IS MY DIRTY FILTER CAUSING?
- 1) Overheating: When your HVAC system filter is clogged or dirty, this may cause your air conditioner to overheat. When the filter is blocked, your AC has to work harder to keep up. This puts more pressure on the unit and can cause it to become overheated.
- 2) Increased Energy Usage: If your AC is required to work harder than usual, it will consume more energy than it usually does. This means that your utility bills will rise as a result of your AC working harder to keep you cool than it normally has to.
- 3) Unclean Air: If your air conditioner is not functioning properly, this means that your air may become stagnant and unhealthy. Cleaning your filter is an important step in ensuring that you have healthy indoor air for you and your family.
- 4) Uncomfortable temperatures: One of the most obvious problems caused by a dirty air filter is your indoor air not cooling to the desired temperature. Inadequate cooling will lead to uncomfortably warm temperatures in your home. If you notice that your house is unusually warm or not cooling to your desired temperature, you should consider checking your air filter.
Step 2: Make sure your unit has power
- Check the circuit breaker to see if it’s been tripped.
- If you’ve got too many electronics plugged in and running, you may have overloaded the circuit. This is especially likely if you’ve got a bunch of fans running during a hot summer day. Check your fuse box to see if the circuit breaker is set in the off position and flip it back on
- If everything else shut down at the same time, you may simply be dealing with a power outage.
Step 3: Call the experts!
The team of experts at Barnett Electrical Heating & Air are here to help you get out of the heat and enjoy the comforts of home. If you’re still struggling to get proper cold air flow during harsh temperatures, give us a call and our team of skilled service experts will quickly address your situation.